The US decision to remove Francesca ​Albanese, a UN expert on the ‌Palestinian territories, from a list of sanctioned individuals is temporary and does not reflect a policy change, the State Department said on Thursday.

The US imposed sanctions on Albanese in July 2025 over what it said were her efforts to prompt the International Criminal Court (ICC) to take action against US and Israeli officials, companies, and executives.

Trump administration likely violated free speech, ruled judge

Earlier this month, a federal judge temporarily blocked the sanctions, finding that the Trump administration likely violated her free-speech rights by imposing the measures ​after she criticized US ally Israel's war in ​Gaza.

"The Government has appealed the court's order," the State Department said in a statement.

UN Special Rapporteur for the occupied Palestinian territories, Francesca Albanese gives a press conference at the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark February 5, 2025.
UN Special Rapporteur for the occupied Palestinian territories, Francesca Albanese gives a press conference at the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark February 5, 2025. (credit: Ritzau Scanpix/Ida Marie Odgaard/File Photo)

"In the event the DC Circuit stays or overturns that order, the Government intends to restore Ms. Albanese's name to the SDN List," it said, referring to the list of Specially Designated Nationals.